|2017 Arts Festival - THE Weekend to Celebrate Canada 150!
Volunteers are eagerly preparing for our 7th Annual Mountain View Arts Festival! It is Mountain View County's largest festival of its kind. Art lovers see Didsbury come alive with all that is arts and culture in our region, including dancers, storytellers, musicians and songwriters, handicrafts, painters, potters, carvers - you name it, if it's artsy, it'll be here!
Since 2011, festival visitors have been treated to an incredible showcase of the arts and culture that is found in Central Alberta - specifically Didsbury and Mountain View County!
Something for Everyone - And Everything's Downtown!
We will be saluting Canada's Sesquicentennial during our weekend full of arts and culture and our heritage. And we're doing it all in beautiful downtown Didsbury! Take a stroll down "Music Block" with Alberta musicians performing at Mugs Coffee House and at the Elks Hall. Chalk Artists will be scattered throughout the downtown core, the Quilt Show fills the Train Station, Artists at Work in Victoria Square Mall, and your family will want to join in on the Tell-A-Vision game at the Library!
- Didsbury Museum - 4th Annual Scarecrows on Parade Competition, rope making, Make Your Own Souvenirs, plus, a celebration of 100 Years of Hockey.
- Also at the Museum - First Nations exhibit by Didsbury's first Aboriginal Mayor, Leading Thunderbird (Richard Mousseau). Didsbury is on Treaty 7 territory.
- Didsbury Library - The "Hub of our Community", showcasing the Literary Arts. There's a Writer/Artist Collaboration, Canadian Historical Brides Author Talk, and the Tell-A-Vision game.
- Museum and Library - You asked for it and we're bringing it to you! A resurrection of the old-time "Bench Fairs" of the past. Now, all you have to do is enter!
- Didsbury Train Station - 7th Annual Quilt Show; a terrific opportunity to visit our Provincial Historic Building!
- Elks Hall Downtown - Something New - We're bringing the music to the people! Musical and Stage Entertainment will fill the Hall, so ALL the daytime fun is in downtown Didsbury!
- And even more music! One stage has not been enough, so we're filling two! Our "Music Block" will be rockin' with great Alberta talent!
- Artists at Work - A new program that provides an opportunity for festival visitors to experience art-making up close as you watch artists create in real time.
- Saturday night Concert - We took a couple of years hiatus on an evening concert, but this year it comes back by popular demand! It's going to be a great folk and rock evening with JUNO nominee, John Wort Hannam. Opening for John's band is Lauren & Joal Kamps and Ruth Purves-Smith, both back by popular demand!
- Come & Go Garden Party at In Bloom Flowers & Gifts - We've got new outfits in our Tickle Trunk especially for the kidlets. Come dress up and enjoy home-baked cookies and tea "as it should be"!
- Top Note Music School - Play an instrument, try your hand at composing, or take a singing lesson.
- Chalk-A-Holics Unite! We'll have some special chalk artist guests downtown, and there's plenty of room around the Train Station for you and your kids to "Chalk It Up!"
- At Delree's Native Art Gallery, just a couple of doors from the coffee house, you can make traditional medicine bags and/or an authentic First Nations dreamcatcher - a great opportunity to think about the next 150 years in Canada!
- Downtown Didsbury - Our 4th Annual Heritage Walking Tour, this year led by the High School Drama students.
- Pick up your Festival Passport at any of our venues and "get it punched" for a chance to win big!
- And More!
- "Make Your Own Souvenirs"
- Can you find "Art the Bear"?
- Every location has a Canada 150 special.
|Mtn View Arts Festival Countdown
|2017 Arts Festival in Didsbury
Sept 9 & 10, 2017
Heard at past festivals:
"Very well done and presented with great hospitality! The music, food, the sound system, and the Metis dancers, great history. Excellent! Good work."
"Had a really great time! Everyone was super friendly and crazy awesome! Cannot wait to come back next year."
"It was amazing ... be warned though ... you may need to drag your children out at closing time. Our kids had an absolute blast and didn't want to leave."
2016 Festival Trivia
Volunteer Hours: 1,725+
What is a Visual Artist?
Those who paint, carve, sculpt, take photos,
craftsmen who work with pottery, stained glass,
wood, jewellery, or metal, clothing designers, photojournalists, those who design clothes,
create digital images, sketch caricatures
& illustrations, design floral arrangements.
And We've Got All of Them!
Special Thanks to our